First, a quick reminder, April 22 (the day before the test drive) is the deadline for reduced rate to join online Escapade. If you wait until April 23, registration for the online con goes up to $30.
Second, if you haven’t joined the Escapade “year ’round” Discord, which is a great place to ask questions and get information, here’s an invitation: https://discord.gg/MaJ7J4GTPE
Escapade 32 is right around the corner and you want to take your equipment for a test drive? Join us on Saturday, April 23 to test drive your tech set-up! We will have four different time slots to make sure we reach everyone across time zones. We’ll be helping folks learn or brush up on their skills with Zoom, Vimeo, and Discord. We’ll send each attendee an email invite so you can join in, and we’ll do our best to help with any tech issues you may have.
Please check the sheet for the meetings in your timezone:
If you can’t get the Zoom link to work, reach out to us at email@example.com
Here’s some logistical details for the online portion of the con:
● For best results, install the Zoom app https://zoom.com/ on your computer, tablet, or phone. The web interface works, but there are many cool features that are not available. Likewise for Discord https://discord.com/
● Upgrade your Zoom app to the latest version https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362233-Upgrading-Zoom-to-the-latest-version
● If possible, wear headphones to participate. Wired headphones work best.
● There will be a separate Zoom channel for each track of programming that will be left open between 8am – 12pm and 1pm – 6pm during the con. Attendees will be able to move in and out of panels at will.
● There will be multiple Discord channels for socializing and smaller conversations.
● There will be five tracks of programming on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. There is space to sign up for DIY slots.
● We have set up a Discord server that is specific to Escapade 32, separate from the ongoing Escapade server. The Tech Mods will close the server about a week after the convention; it will serve as an “archive” for those conversations.
● The vid show will be hosted on Vimeo and we’ll live-stream it Saturday from 8-10 PM PST, then available for re-watch at your convenience throughout the weekend. We recommend watching through Chrome if possible. We will make vid show links available through the Escapade website and on the Discord.
● Here are some good “Zoom for newbies” guides (OK, they’re really Zoom for old folks, but they’re clearly written, and provide basic info):
● Here is a detailed, Escapade-specific guide to using Discord https://docs.google.com/document/d/1w7GvvogePeGw2_raWe9lK_nRBePs7IPgGCeXPSdXgqM/edit
● Watch your inbox for links to the programming details and the schedule (with info for all time zones). That’s where you’ll have the chance to sign up for DIY slots.
We’re looking forward to seeing you really soon!
Nev and Jessi